Rebuilding my Website
It is again time to rebuild my website. Luz has designed a wonderful new layout, which is one of the reasons I am excited again to work on this. The second reason is that this time, I created my website in WordPress. This is not so much exciting (although it is interesting to discover a new platform) as it reduces my inhibition to be excited. In other words: it is now far easier to write: I can write posts and it just works. In the previous version, it was a bit more work and fiddling around to make a post look decent.
So, why did I choose WordPress instead of another platform?
- Easy to use
- Free and Open Source (licensed under GPL)
- Quite easy to work with as a developer (good support, although various blogs contain a lot of outdated information).
- I already have clients that use WordPress for their website, and I would like to get to know it better.
- I don’t have to build it myself.
- It is quite popular: any web scraping bot will include the latest WordPress exploits (although I try to patch as much as possible).
- It can be quite stubborn in its ways, needing some persuasion (for example: subclassing the Menu walker to not produce a list-based menu) to work as I want it to.
- As any tool: it needs to be adapted to my needs.